Many pet parents strive to find solutions for their dog’s digestive difficulties, food sensitivity issues or the occasional tummy upset. A recent study showed that optimal digestion ranks in the top ten most important attributes that pet parents look for when choosing their dog’s nutrition. But what does optimal digestion mean and how do superior brands deliver this?
A healthy digestive tract can help improve multiple aspects of your dog’s well-being from their ability to produce small firm stools regularly right through to promoting optimal energy levels and even their appearance.
1. WHAT DOES THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM DO?
In simple terms, your dog’s digestive tract is just like ours. It is designed to break down, digest and absorb the food passing through it so that the much-needed nutrients like proteins, fat, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins present in their food can enter your dog’s bloodstream for their body to use.
2. WHY IS THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM IMPORTANT FOR IMMUNITY?
The digestive tract contains the largest number of immune cells in a dog’s body. In fact, over two-thirds of their immune system resides there. Having a highly functional immune system is dependent upon having a healthy gut, so any impairment in your dog’s digestive health means that their immune system is not as strong as it otherwise would be.
3. WHAT ARE THE SIGNS THAT YOUR DOG MAY HAVE A DIGESTIVE UPSET?
While you should always consult your veterinarian if you think there may be a persistent or concerning digestive upset in your dog, common signs of a mild digestive upset or food sensitivity can include vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, irregularity of stools, weight loss, inappetence or a potential change in their skin and coat — more dull, dry and brittle.
4. THE POWER OF NUTRITION
What a dog eats has a proven and direct impact on their entire body including the health of their digestive system. Selecting nutrition that is focused on optimising digestive health can help manage your dog’s potential digestive sensitivities and promote daily digestive health. Here are the key elements to consider when choosing a recipe to deliver a lifetime of wellbeing that starts from the core.
- Highly digestible, high-quality proteins: Well-being is multifactorial and the choice of protein for your dog’s diet is a key consideration. Meat proteins such as fresh lamb deliver superior rates of digestibility especially when compared to plant-based proteins. Not only do these highly-digestible proteins help optimise overall digestive health, but choosing to feed a diet rich in lamb rather than one based on common chicken or beef proteins can also help alleviate some digestive symptoms especially in pets suffering a food allergy. For example, high-quality lamb proteins contain all the essential amino acid building blocks for cell growth and maintenance in their body. Lamb meat is also a rich source of B vitamins, phosphorus, zinc, iron, linolenic acid and omega-6 fatty acids making it the perfect choice when seeking a diet to optimise the digestive health of your dog.
- Dietary fibre: The right balance and type of dietary fibre can help maximise your dog’s ability to absorb nutrients easily without causing unnecessary strain on their gut.
- Prebiotics and probiotics: Added prebiotics and probiotics have been repeatedly been shown to help rebalance a dog’s microflora. These digestive ingredients encourage the growth and optimal composition of the bacteria vital to helping contribute to overall gut health and help strengthen the immune system.
Wellness CORE Lamb is the new product available from Wellness CORE that is perfectly designed to meet the needs of sensitive digestion. Crafted to deliver highly digestible nutrition, this recipe also contains dietary fibre, prebiotics and probiotics so that every bite your dog eats optimizes their daily digestive health. Rich in lamb proteins, Wellness CORE Lamb is a single protein, grain-free recipe that helps avoid common food allergens and best of all, the rich lamb taste delivers outstanding palatability that satisfies even the fussiest dogs.
Start using Wellness CORE Lamb today and share your story by tagging us on Instagram and using the hashtag #Seeandfeelthedifference.